Goritsy is a green stop where tourists, arrived with motor ships, can have a rest and see the attractions of landing stage and its outskirts. Next to the landing stage Goritsky cloister is located that is a working nunnery. The cloister was founded in 1544 by Ephrosinya Khovanskaya ? the wife of the youngest son of the prince Ivan III. She also sponsored the rebuilding of the Resurrection church in stone and the construction the church in the name of Mother of God Odigirtiya.
The nunnery was also a place of seclusion for noble women. The founder of the cloister Ephrosinya was immured in a monastery and here was killed, then the tsar Ivan the Terrible immured his fourth wife here. The mother of crown-prince Dmitry, the daughter of the tsar Boris Godunov and many others languished in that prison. In 1932 the nunnery was closed and there was organized collective farm (kolkhoz). The rebirth of the nunnery began in 1999.
Nowadays Goritsky nunnery amazes tourists. 3 churches ? the Resurrection church with belfry, the Trinity Cathedral, erected in 1821 on the burial place of the founder of the nunnery and the Intercession church, created in 1832. The nunnery?s walls are a stone wall with towers and gates. At the territory of the cloister one can see utility structures, cells, ice-houses, refectory and hospital. The church of the Presentation of the Holy Virgin in the Temple is located near nunnery?s cemetery. The landing stage is also included in the complex of the cloister. Here in 1905 nuns created a stone chapel in the name of John the Baptist.
In 7 km from Goritsy the famous museum-reserve ? Kirillo-Belozersky cloister ? is located. If tourists had time they can visit this amazing place. The cloister was an Orthodox friary, created by St. Kirill Belosersky on the lakeside of Siverskoye Lake. The monastery was founded in 1397 and the main church of the cloister was the Assumption Cathedral. In the XVI century the cloister consisted of two parts: the Assumption complex and Ivanovsky cloister. At that time the friary was a trade and spiritual centre and also was a place of seclusion of noble men. Different legends are connected with the friary. In 1447 the prince Vasiliy II Dark got permission in the cloister to renounce his word not to pretend to Moscow throne. In 1528 Vasiliy III came to the friary to pray the God for giving him son and he got what he wanted. In 1776 the monastery was abolished and at that place the town Kirillov was created. In 1924 the former cloister became a museum.
Nowadays the complex of the museum includes not only constructions of the cloister but also the monuments of Old-Russian wooden architecture. Tourists can see the church of the Presentation of the Holy Virgin in the Temple (1519), the Assumption cathedral with its wonderful iconostasis, belfry (1761), the Holy Gate, the church of Archangel Gabriel (1534) and the church of Epithany the Great (1653). Ivanovsky complex includes the church of St. John Baptist (1534) and the church of St. Sergy Radonezhsky (1560).
The other attraction of that region is the cloister, founded by associate of St. Kirill Belozersky ? Pherapont. The cloister was created in 1397 and was a centre of spiritual culture and icon painting. In 1798 the cloister was abolished and turned into parish. In 1904 it was opened again as a nunnery but in 1924 it was closed. In 1975 there was created a museum complex. The main treasures of the cloister are frescos and icons, painted by Dionysy who was a great icon painter of the XVI century. Nowadays the frescos in Pherapontov cloister are the only wall-paintings of master that were kept till our days. Tourists can visit the church of the Annunciation, the church of St. Martinian and see the cathedral of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary.